Friday, October 15, 2010

An Autumn Brew (warning - lots of eye candy)...

"Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble."~ Shakespeare "Macbeth"

While I have been quite in blogland, I have been busy in the world, making memories. October is a busy month for us, many birthdays (family and friends), usually an escape of some sort...mourning summer I suppose and of course, the landmark holiday, Halloween. A landmark because it it the beginning of the end of the year.  a time full of wonder and celebration...my favorite time of the year. October and I have had a love affair since I was a child kicking up the leaves on Elsmere Ave, eating bowls of Cincinnati chili and anxiously awaiting the door to door compliments on the fabulous costume Momma whipped up and of course the reward of candy, popcorn balls and coins! Yes, along our route in my fabulous (to me) hometown, there was a large house that gave out half dollars...a treat indeed! I believe my papa & mam- ma loved Halloween as much as we did because they decorated the front porch to be scary and fun, with 9 children, they had a cast of characters for years!  This is the time of year when mam-ma would make popcorn balls and chex mix (REAL chex mix). Races to the heat registers would begin to ensue, first one there felt the warmth rush from the floor as if a dragon lived in the basement just to warm our bodies. Yes, I have been in Love with October for as long as I can remember.  So while I have been quiet here, my soul stirs, I find I tend to journal more and  take a lot of photos in October...because the world becomes alive with magic, both natural and the Home Brewed kind...so today I would like to share some of the Home Brewed Magic that I have spotted....

PC and I went to breakfast last week and instead of going to our usual cafe, we ventured into the mountains and ended up at the Evergreen Cafe...what a treat!  As I ewwwd and awwed over the labor of love in the owner's Halloween decorations, I plotted to bring Baby Girl up for breakfast in a few days with camera in tow...PC is not as understanding as I'd like when it comes to snapping photos with my big ol' camera in restaurants...it's really where he draws the line...anywho...Baby Girl was game and we had a fabby morning...here you go!
As you walk in...you immediately know the spirit of creativity lives here...and we thought it was just a cafe...
The ceiling demands attention as many of the spiders descend and ascend as the door opens and closes...
The garden window has this great treatment (sorry it's dark) with fanciful witches and and the undead...
The walls are filled with all sorts of fun and spooky pictures, flowers and creatures of the night...
This little arrangement, very interactive, sits over the cook's window...
Almost forgot we were at a restaurant, huh?  Great food!
After breakfast we walked across the street, Baby Girl commenting how the town of Wrightwood reminded her of the small town in The Proposal (an all-time Fav of mine) and I agreed.  Quiet, artsy and full of characters.  We happened upon such a treasure of a shop, SK Jones Galleries - I HAVE TO SHARE - you can tell instantly that a talented artist is at work in this shop...
the jewlery is unique and gorgeous...
 the furnishings understated, artistic and beautiful,...
the spirit of the space is playful...
 and the artwork truly authentic...Suzan has taken the journey and arrived at her authentic self...
I love her window panes. Magic in the making.
Awwww...can you smell the crispness in the air...the magic?  I can!  But alas, I have to go make some numbers do magic -off to do algebra homework!! Tata for now!

Linking up with Show & Tell Friday

No comments: